Wednesday, September 30, 2015

It's a Heart Issue


The other day  I had to do a heart examination.  The good I was trying to do was being criticize and I was defensive. It was if the good I did was overlooked because of one small oversight. After thoroughly discussing (complaining)the issue with my husband the Spirit of God gave me a gentle reminder that my being upset had more to do with me than the other person. Behind that gentle reminder was where I found a heart issue(pride). When someone pointed out a mistake I was to hurt because I was expecting to hear great job.   

In Matt 19:16-22 we see the story of the rich young ruler. He wanted to know what he needed to do to gain eternal life. The Bible says in  (verse 21 & 22 )Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions

It was not the giving that made the ruler sorrowful but the selling. He had his identity in what he had. In other words he was proud of his accomplishments. Here is Jesus not praising what he has achieved but saying go and sell it. His pride in his possessions made him forfeit the opportunity to follow after Jesus.

You see initially when my mistake was pointed out I was sorrowful because I was proud of my accomplishment.  However , afterwards my response was  heart felt repentance. Thank God for His grace and forgiveness.

Today would you give your heart a careful examination. Is there anything hidden there that would be displeasing to God?  If there is you only need to go to Him with a sincere heart and ask for forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment